A cold but sunny day certainly blew the cobwebs away on our Lytham Hall visit. Several of us got there early and enjoyed lunch in the delightful cafe. The hall is work in progress at the moment, having received lottery funding for work on both the house and the grounds. Despite some major felling of trees around the hall, and sections of the gardens being under construction at the present time, members enjoyed the snowdrop walk and some of us climbed up ‘the mound’ from the top of which was an exceptional view of the house. A tour round the Hall itself followed and we learnt about the colourful Clifton family from 1727 (when Thomas Clifton had the hall built) to 1979 when it was repossessed by the Guardian Royal Exchange and used as their offices until Lytham Town Trust purchased it (helped by a £1 million donation from British Aerospace) We saw exceptional plaster work in the main hall, drawing and dining rooms and on the main staircase, where also could be seen a remarkable central medallion depicting Jupiter hurling thunderbolts and lightening. (By Cortese) There were an interesting selection of family portraits and we were able to compare the family rooms with the domestic areas.
Lytham Hall & Snowdrop Walk -